[Wittrs] Re: On Discussions about Free WIll

  • From: sekhar goteti <sekhar.goteti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 06:02:37 +0530

In his fine new book, ?I Is an Other,? James Geary reports on linguistic
research suggesting that people use a metaphor every 10 to 25 words.
Metaphors are not rhetorical frills at the edge of how we think, Geary
writes. They are at the very heart of it.
George Lakoff and Mark Johnson, two of the leading researchers in this
field, have pointed out that we often use food metaphors to describe the
world of ideas. We devour a book, try to digest raw facts and attempt to
regurgitate other people?s ideas, even though they might be half-baked.

When talking about relationships, we often use health metaphors. A friend
might be involved in a sick relationship. Another might have a healthy
marriage.
Poetry for Everyday Life By DAVID
BROOKS<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/opinion/editorialsandoped/oped/columnists/davidbrooks/index.html?inline=nyt-per>
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/misc/nytlogo110x16.gif