[Wittrs] Re: On Discussions about Free WIll

  • From: "SWM" <swmirsky@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 00:38:36 -0000

Kirby, at the risk of opening another can of worms (which I probably won't
pursue anyway because it promises to be unproductive), aren't your claims below
to engage in certain dubiously justified word games (i.e, about what counts as
"will", "American", "free", and so forth), based on a claim of Wittgensteinian
authority which, in fact, has little relevance to such a move? Can Wittgenstein
be invoked to justify our politics or ideology?

There's value to applying Wittgenstein's insights to the philosophical
questions that present themselves in our discourse. But is there real value in
using such a strategy to justify making political points about who, say, is an
American when we already recognize that "American" has various meanings in
different contexts, and no one is disputing it or claiming otherwise? And
what's the value in claiming that the American prison system violates
Constitutional provisions based on such word play which, in fact, has nothing
to do with the text of the Constitution itself but, rather, with manipulating
the usage of terms like "free", "servitude" and so forth in our ordinary
discourse?

Questions of Constitutional jurisprudence hinge on what THAT document actually
says, on how it is to be read and on the context in which the Constitutional
text was written (and so historically understood). Relevant to this last, of
course, is the chain of interpretation that has come down to us by those who
have used and interpreted the Constitution over time (e.g., from the get-go the
users of the Constitution, and accompanying jurisprudence, have accepted that
the Constitutional provision that gives Congress the power to declare war is
less about formal declarations than about Congress having the power to prevent
presidents from going to war, or of lining up with presidents in support of
wars via legislative votes that are not explicit declarations of war per se).

You cannot resolve such questions by importing Wittgensteinian linguistic
analysis into the discourse.

SWM