[Wittrs] Re: A corollary of the Peter Principle (Jeff's comments)

  • From: Martha Sherwoodpike <msherwoodpike@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CHORA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 10:06:47 -0700

Jeff H.wrote:
" I have no idea what to do about some of the problems you're talking about.
 People will be people."

I at least hinted at a way to address the problem when I ascribed its magnitude
to boom and bust cycles that create huge disparities in the level of
competition over time. Rapid exponential growth (in the case I alluded to, in
American Universities) which overshoots and then abruptly crashes, is a
phenomenon amenable to modification and is not the invariable result of human
nature. If growth had been slower, at a more sustainable level, then the
qualifications of the judges would more closely match, on the average, the
qualifications of those being judged, and there would not be so many applicants
for a position that those doing the hiring had the luxury of rejecting people
on arbitrary grounds. The Peter Principle operates most strongly during the
rapid growth phase (People get promoted into their level of incompetence
because there is little or no competition) whereas the corollary comes into
play during the retrenchment phase.

With respect to disseminating ideas on the internet when more conventional
avenues of publication are closed, it's at best a partial solution. As a
scientist, I can only go so far with an idea without having a position at a
University or a research laboratory. Getting hard data requires a considerable
infrastructure. It is not going to be much consolation to me if, years down the
road, someone better situated is able to use my idea, even if they do
acknowledge that I had priority.

 Back in 1975, when I was a graduate student at Cornell, I gave two papers at
the annual meeting of the American Institute of Biological Sciences (a major
conference), one on the taxonomy of fungi that were the subject of my
dissertation research and one a theoretical paper using models from island
biogeography to estimate the numbers of fungal species. The second paper met
with a negative reaction from some influential individuals - basically, that
everybody knew that this was nonsense, and what was I, a graduate student,
doing talking about matters theoretical - and I never pursued it. About ten
years ago essentially the same analysis appeared in a prestigious forum, with
established names attached, and it is now the last word on the subject. I
actually think the authors of the more recent paper were probably unaware of my
1975 presentation. I wouldn't have noticed it except that someone who had been
present at the 1975 conference wrote to me
 wondering if I still had a copy of the paper. I don't. The only record of it
is an abstract in a conference program. Like conference papers delivered
orally, electronic media can have a pretty short shelf life if no one archives
hard copy.

Martha Sherwood

Messages to the list will be archived at
http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/archives/chora.html