[Wittrs] Re: Die Welt is alles, was der Fall ist

  • From: Eckehard Seidl <info@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: CHORA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 21:39:58 +0200

Dear JL,
a common German etymological dictionary (Kluge) tells me:
German "Fall" refers to the different possibilities of the falling
of a dice, based on Latin "casus" (with comparable variety
of meanings) as a model. My translation: "This is sure with
'Fall' as a term of grammar. Here it is since the 17th century
a derived meaning of Latin 'casus' which translates Greek
'ptosis'. This points to the variety of grammatical cases
like the different outcomes of falling dices."
So there is chance in "Fall", but from a limited choice. It is
a definite outcome from a countable set of possibilities.
Greetings,
E. Seidl

Messages to the list will be archived at
http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/archives/chora.html