[triadtechtalk] Re: Virus

  • From: ChasM49@xxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 20:42:58 EST

In a message dated 12/30/2001 5:32:19 PM Central Standard Time,
DBCfour@xxxxxxx writes:

> http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=99084

Virus Characteristics
AVERT HOAX Notice!!McAfee AVERT Labs would like to inform you of a new email
HOAX.This email message is just a HOAX. Although, the SULFNBK.EXE file may
become infected by a number of valid viruses (most commonly <A
HREF="http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=99040";>W32/Magistr@MM</A>,

the details of this HOAX message are not based on actual events.We are
advising users who receive the email to delete the message and DO NOT pass it
on as this is how an email HOAX propagates.SULFNBK.EXE is a Microsoft Windows
utility that is used to restore long file names

Note the word "may"... if you keep your av program up to date... sulfnbk will
not show as a virus... but theW32 /magistr will.... this hoax message has
been passed around for years now.... comes up every couple of moths when
someone has nothing better to do... if you keep your AV program updated by
subscription you will get the real scoop on any and all problems comning up
with AV stuff.... on 6 pcs here I use either nortons av 2002, Kasperskys av
platinum,or trend micro PCillian   and on every one according to their
company web sites this basic message was and has been a hoax. And yes.. for
that matter any file can have a virus,torjan or worm attached to it... but if
you keep your av updated your problems become minimal to next to none... but
of course is my opinion only ... Chuck... in OK