[triadtechtalk] Re: Virus

  • From: "grps2004" <grps2004@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 09:49:29 +1000

Hi Juanita

(In any replies please don't quote my e-mail addie)

Just after reading your message I found this alert in my in box.
It warns of that very same virus and gives us a bit of info.
Perhaps it'll help you. It would mean though that your comp
is infected and you did say that you don't know this Sharon.
The a2 scanner mentioned is a freebie.

Regards
Elisabeth

Alert: Worm.Win32.NetSky.D!

If you can hear a beep melody between 6 and 9 am this morning, then your
computer has been infected with the NetSky.D worm.

This new worm only spreads via email attachments. The attachment filename is
randomly choosen but always ends with .PIF.

The subject is one of the following lines:

"Re: Re: Document"
"Re: Re: Thanks!"
"Re: Thanks!"
"Re: Your document"
"Re: Here is the document"
"Re: Your picture"
"Re: Re: Message"
"Re: Hi"
"Re: Hello"
"Re: Re: Re: Your document"
"Re: Here"
"Re: Your music"
"Re: Your software"
"Re: Approved"
"Re: Details"
"Re: Excel file"
"Re: Word file"
"Re: My details"
"Re: Your details"
"Re: Your bill"
"Re: Your text"
"Re: Your archive"
"Re: Your letter"
"Re: Your product"
"Re: Your website"

When the file is started, the worm installs itself on your PC to get
activated each system startup. It also tries to deactivate installed
antivirus software.

It seaches the harddisk for email addresses which are used to spread itself.

A more detailled analysis of the worm can be found in the a² Malware
Database:
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/malware/?Worm.Win32.NetSky.D

Netsky.D can be detected and removed with a² with the latest signature
updates loaded. The a² background guard blocks the worm immediately if it is
started.

Sincerley yours,

Your a² Team
http://www.emsisoft.com