[THIN] Re: Hybrid question?

  • From: Michel Roth <mrdizzz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 08:26:24 +0100

I think it all depends... SBC in the end is all about saving *money* (TCO or
whatever you like). If you want to do it right, then do it like it's meant
to be done. Deploy applications server based and buy DUMB terminals. Don't
do both, you'll be spending twice the money!
 I've been on a crusade the last few years to get customers to think about
what they really want and find a reseller who can provide that. So in terms
of Thin Clients: press a BIG button to power on, enter that ol' password and
you should be done. This will do for usually 70% of your users. Then there's
users that NEED to have scanners, smart card readers etc. Buy full featured
ones for that (NOT meaning a trimmed down version of Windows).
This should work if your users aren't to picky about performance (If jpg's
start appearing in 12 segments over 2 seconds then most users start
nagging).
Kill of those little pesky apps that that one users absolutely needs. Do not
go down the road less travelled (streaming video etc.). There's a good
reason why people don't go there ;-)
 Finally , have management buy-in! If they want you to save money, tell that
pesky user to go complain to the CFO!
 This is of course and endless discussion.... but I just wanted to say that
I think can save you money IF you do it right (and for the right reasons)
 Brian (Madden) wrote an article on it I really enjoyed. Be sure to read the
comments too : http://www.brianmadden.com/content/content.asp?id=464
 Regards,
Michel Roth
www.thincomputing.net <http://www.thincomputing.net>