[THIN] Re: Hybrid question?

  • From: "Braebaum, Neil" <Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 09:00:52 -0000

Well the 10 year thing may not be so ridiculous.

All the Winterms I deployed in the field, dating back to 98, are the original
items (a small number may have been replaced - like-for-like by engineers but
all are the same model).

Up until very recently, I had some of the original server hardware in use. The
main reason for decommissioning some of it (and I'm talking about 200 Mhz
Pentium Pro server hardware) is simply management costs, and datacentre real
estate.

But the hardware still works and supports very similar loads to the original
implementation. It's only when you increase OS or application demands that
things become obsolete. But the investment my company made in the initial end
user hardware has not needed replacement. Nor will it likely do, before the
implementation is removed. And that won't be far off 10 years.

Now I'm not saying that every implementation will be like that, or that it's
representative - but you can certainly see very long implementations on both
the hardware and software, assuming that the environment requirements are
reasonably static.

Neil

This email and its attachments are confidential and are intended for the above
named recipient only. If this has come to you in error, please notify the
sender immediately and delete this email from your system. You must take no
action based on this, nor must you copy or disclose it or any part of its
contents to any person or organisation. Statements and opinions contained in
this email may not necessarily represent those of Littlewoods Shop Direct Group
Limited or its subsidiaries. Please note that email communications may be
monitored. The registered office of Littlewoods Shop Direct Group Limited is
100 Old Hall Street Liverpool L70 1AB registered number 5059352

www.blackspider.com
This Weeks Sponsor: Cesura, Inc.
Know about Citrix end-user slowdowns before they know.
Know the probable cause, immediately.
Know it all now with this free white paper.
http://www.cesurasolutions.com/landing/WPBCForCitrix.htm?mc=WETBCC