From: thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:thin-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Jim Kenzig http://Kenzig.com
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 8:31 PM
To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [THIN] Re: Hybrid question?

Yeah,,, Winframe1.6 even.. heavens to mergatroid!  Have to admit I still
have all the CD's all the way back to Winview. Why I keep them I don't
know...nostalgia I guess...of course I just finally threw out my 5 1/4"360 k
and 1.2 meg floppies when I moved and some 720k 3 and 1/2 inch disks...
(over 3000 of them!)  I used to run a phone bbs system and would back up my
whopping 80 meg mfm hard drive which I also just threw out (in 1988 that was
huge) from my IBM PC XT to them. You needed a special Adaptec controller to
run a drive that large back then that cost like $400. (The drive itself cost
like $1200.) It took hundreds of floppies to back up that drive with dos
backup. Yeah I got to be state of the art when I got that baby up to dos
4.0! I ran a bbs system called Telix.  I had 3 lines coming into my house
and sold text advertising on the site. I had hundreds of shareware files for
download.  I would connect&nb sp;to other systems and download every file
they had then put them up on my site and would buy all those shareware disks
at computer shows and put them up.  Shows how long I've been doing this and
been in the business. Where is gopher when you need it. : )
Jim

Steve Snyde> wrote:

or lots of winframe servers? ;)

On 11/1/05, Jim Kenzig http://Kenzig.com <http://kenzig.com/>
<jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

And are there still dinosaurs and cavemen where you work Neil? ; )

"Braebaum, Neil" <  <mailto:Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Neil.Braebaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well the 10 year thing may not be so ridiculous.

All the Winterms I deployed in the field, dating back to 98, are the
original items (a small number may have been replaced - like-for-like by
engineers but all are the same model).

Up until very recently, I had some of the original server hardware in use.
The main reason for decommissioning some of it (and I'm talking about 200
Mhz Pentium Pro server hardware) is simply management costs, and datacentre
real estate.

But the hardware still works and supports very similar loads to the original
implementation. It's only when you increase OS or application demands that
things become obsolete. But the investment my company made in the initial
end user hardware has not needed replacement. Nor will it likely do, before
the implementation is removed. And that won't be far off 10 years.