[TechAssist] Re: GE 20GT425 Turns OFF/ON Repeatedly

  • From: Mykeelike@xxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 15:11:15 EST

In a message dated 12/9/02 8:01:51 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mrfixit@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> Ed,
>
> Point taken. However my question still remains. I would appreciate any
> pointers on how to diagnose a problem like the one I had. Furthermore I
> think that it's inappropiate for a fellow technician to suggest "we are
> tinkerers and not technicians". I became slightly defensive in my response
> because I don't take comments like this too lightly from technicians who
> should understand the problems with diagnosing intermittent problems.
> Comments like, "use your scope that's the professional way to troubleshoot"
> and that "we a tinkerers" are negative comments. Sharing your knowledge is
> good thing,

I've fought cold solder on hundreds of chassis. in my 30 years of experience,
the best thing I've come up with is a chop stick. it has a small point so you
can localize the pressure to smaller areas sometimes you can drag it  lightly
across the solder side of the board. i happen to agree with you in that there
are only a handful of times when a scope has been useful in helping me locate
a cold solder joint. i also use a very high power optical head set to spot at
least 70% visually. also in this case i might have responded to your original
e mail if i knew it was a ctc146.i list all my GE and RCA by chassis. i have
considerable notes on ctc146 and bad connections

Mike Wilson
a.m. stereo & video
Seattle WA.
206 364 5904