[TCUG] Re: Bleep and Sweep pedestrian crossings

  • From: "Bernie Japs" <bernie.japs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 11:41:28 +0100

'Bleep and sweep' pedestrian facilities were tested in Edinburgh about ten
years ago
together with other facilities for the blind. The 'bleep and sweep' system
received a very poor rating from the blind pedestrians who were invited to
use the experimental dual crossings. Ambiguous audible signalling was a
major criticism. It was noted that passing vehicles deflected
the noise emissions from the audio devices mounted on the TS poles.
The 'talking pelican crossing', which is approved in Scotland and has been
established
since 1981, The International Year of The Disabled, was one of the most
attractive pedestrian facilities for the blind people who were invited to
test the facilities.
These facilities can also provide a similar arrangement at 'talking puffin
crossings' as well.

Bernie Japs
TRAFFIC CONTROL
CITY OF EDINBURGH COUNCIL