[TCUG] Re: Bleep and Sweep pedestrian crossings

  • From: stephen.falconer@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 17:25:43 +0100

Tim,

We gave up on our two B & Sweep sites for the very reasons you cited. The
sweep always seemed to be too late because when the noisy vehicles stopped
(and were quieter) it seemed that the bleep was extraordinarily loud. We
could hear it in ASDA down the road. We had serious maintenance issues in
that we could not get the units mended. We lost the will to live after
that.

Steve

                      "Tim Clark"

                      <Tim.Clark@lincolnsh         To:
<tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      ire.gov.uk>                  cc:

                      Sent by:                     Subject: [TCUG] Re: Bleep
and Sweep pedestrian crossings
                      tcug-bounce@freelist

                      s.org

                      06/10/2004 13:26

                      Please respond to

                      tcug

We have two dual crossings with this facility operating or partially
disabled. One is now due for refurbishment and we would prefer to remove
the bleep and sweep due to safety concerns as they can sometimes be
heard at the wrong crossing. But we have a single committed blind
campaigner who who will not accept this stance.

We believed that they were no longer manufactured or no longer approved
but this is not the case. We also discovered that the DfT advice note
acknowledges that they may be heard by the adjacent crossing ! We have
therefore had to agree to purchase new units and have the suppliers
(Sedgewall Communications 01582 475555) set them up to ensure they are
operating correctly. We will then determine if we think they are safe
for all users.

To date we have been unable to arrange a meeting to discuss the matter,
inc. maintenance and servicing, with the suppliers. I would be
interested to know more of your specific maintenance problems and
operational experiences.

>>> stephen.falconer@xxxxxxxxxxxx 06/10/04 12:12:04 >>>
Here in Leeds we did try, many years ago, two operate two dual
crossings
with "Bleep and Sweep". which we were not too happy with, due in part
maintenance problems and also the effectiveness of their operation. Can
ask if anybody still uses this form of pedestrian indication on
crossings
and whether or not they consider them successful.

Steve Falconer
UTMC
Leeds City Council
0113 2476768

The information in this email (and any attachment) may be for the
intended recipient only. If you know you are not the intended
recipient,
please do not use or disclose the information in any way and please
delete this email (and any attachment) from your system.

Service of legal documents is not accepted by email

Note: We are a Microsoft Office site.  Our base version is 4.3.  Please
make sure
that files you send can be read in this format.

Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure,
modification, distribution and/or publication of this e-mail is strictly
prohibited save unless expressly authorised by the sender.

The information contained in this message is intended for the named
recipients only. It may contain privileged and confidential information and
if you
are not the addressee or the person responsible for delivering this to the
addressee,
you may not copy, distribute or take action in reliance on it.
If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender(s)
immediately by telephone. Please also destroy and delete as soon as
possible
the message from your computer.