[tccrockets] Re: UAVs at TCC launches

  • From: "Rob Diehl" <rwdiehl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tccrockets@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 12:35:58 -0700

Yes, safety first.

People recording their launches from the line probably don’t want to hear the
buzzing of the multirotor in their video.  Or maybe they don’t care.  But I
agree that it should be on a case by case basis.  I would love to record my
launch from about 100 feet.  Or looking down from 500 feet (or higher) to see
if a sonic boom could be recorded.  That means that the sky is not clear
though.  So any falling pieces and parts would be the responsibility of the
owner of the multirotor and possibly others (LCO/RSO).  I am not an attorney
nor do I play one on tv.

Frequencies – most use 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz.  (think cordless phone and wireless
network frequencies)  Some older units may be 72mhz.  I doubt any multirotors
are using the HAM band.

Having said that – I love them.

I have 3 quad copters, 2 helis, 4 rc planes and 2 rc jets, and lots of stuff
still in the box.  Love stuff that flies.  Luckily my wife doesn’t recognize
them and seldom goes in my shop so she thinks I only have 1 of each (and a
“couple” rockets).

Anyway, pre-planning is key.  Rocketeers need to specify if they don’t want one
in the air and not be shy about speaking up.  And ask a multi-rotor owner if
they do want one up.  Final decision is on the LCO of course.

Rob