[tccrockets] Re: UAVs at TCC launches

  • From: "Robert " <mrairobert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tccrockets@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 May 2014 08:23:28 -0700

I vote Larry Taylor in as the UAV rulemaker....
I suggest something like this:
No UAVs over flight line while rockets are going to or on pad unless they are "assisting" a rocketeer as verified by a remark on the flight card. I would define the flight line as, "The area between the access/parking road and the away cell." I think this will allow lots of access while preserving the primary goal of launching rockets.

Looks like I got three cents left....

Robert

On Sat, 24 May 2014 21:44:29 -0700, Richard King <drrbk@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

At DA this year, we saw something different than in the past. Call them what you will – quad copters, UAVs, drones, RC >doo-dads – there were several instances where as the LCO, I was asked if I was OK with the little buggers hovering near >the flight line while big projects were about to launch. First, let me say that in general, I think these things are WAY COOL! (yes, I want one very badly and am certain that it’s >only a matter of time....). Secondly, the worst case scenario is the drone got too close to a rocket going up and there was contact. I will place my >bet on the rocket. While I would gladly claim victory in such a situation, I can appreciate that not every rocketeer could >feel the same way. I hate adding rules to things, but was just thinking about where this could take us. Keeping drones at the flight line >seemed acceptable enough for me. But let’s think about this. Remember back in the day when we had the “danger cam” >video camera set up near the launch pad to capture all the blast and didn’t really care if the camera (some old rig) got >nailed? Thought that was cool? These drones could really bring the drama!!! Did I mention I want one? I think I heard my >wife say it was OK..... or was it OK to move out..... anyway, I would like to get some input about this issue before someone >throws a fit or the owner of a drone violates someone else’s boundaries.
Richard King