[SI-LIST] Re: Importance of Package Height

  • From: "Tony Anthony" <tony@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 13:35:58 -0500

Earlier, Larry Smith talked about the need measure capacitors in low inductance
fixtures and to look
at capacitors from the standpoint of transmission line models. I am sure both
points will help
explain the effects we are seeing in X2Y capacitors and so we look forward to
the publication of his
upcoming paper at ECTC in May.

As far as capacitor height vs. inductance is concerned, it may be dependent on
the structure being
measured. The X2Y capacitors have four terminals, vs. most standard capacitors,
which are two
terminal devices. Our licensees have been making measurements (all series thru
so far) in a low
inductance ICM test fixture and the results seem to fly in the face of standard
capacitor behavior
as height increases. We continue to only see the expected effect of the
capacitance change. We have
posted the impedance/freq data of the following different X2Y package
size/height, data at this
link:
http://www.x2y.com/cube/x2y.nsf/(files)/ImpedanceComparisons.pdf/$FILE/ImpedanceComparisons.pdf

Slide #1)X2Y Comparisons

Size  Max Height(mm)        Cap Value
0805    1.02           47nF (x 2Ycaps = 94nF)
1206    1.27          100nf (x 2Ycaps = 200nF)
1410    1.78        400nF (x 2Ycaps = 800nF)
1812      2.29      470nF (x 2Ycaps = 940nF)

Slide #2) Standard cap impedance comparisons from an MLCC library. We tried to
find comparable
devices here.

Slide #3) We have also began measuring standard capacitors to correlate with
published data sheet
results, starting with feed thru capacitors. We have found the results in the
low inductance ICM
test fixture to be very close to the data sheets. We will soon begin measuring
standard capacitors
to check those results as well.

Slide #4&5) X2Y vs. standard feed thru cap impedance comparisons, although used
differently in the
circuit, both are four terminal capacitors.

For inductance of vias: If a capacitor design has benefits that can reduce the
B field stored in the
vias through cancellation, lower mounted inductance can  result. You don't need
an interdigitated
design to accomplish this. We have accomplished B field reduction inside a
capacitor with minor
changes to electrode arrangement and circuit attachment. SI designers do the
same with their board
layouts every day.

thanks, Tony

List archives are viewable at: