[SI-LIST] Re: Importance of Package Height

  • From: Zhiping Yang <zhiping@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ldsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 12:44:35 -0800

Larry,

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Can you explain why the measurement from direct VNA with 50Ohm fixture
is greater than on PCB?

Here are my understandings:
1. VNA with 50Ohm fixtures (Calibrate VNA to the cap pads, can we do this
     in lab? I am not positive.)
     L_measure=L_cap_self_inductance
2. VNA with 50Ohm fixtures (VNA is not calibrated)
    L_meausre=L_cap_self_indutnace+L_fixtures+M_mutual
3. Measurement with cap on PCB structures
    L_meaure=L_cap_self_inductance+L_vias+L_plane+M_mutuals

For my understanding, case 1 gives the smallest inductance. Maybe you
are refering the VNA measurement to case 2.

For the case 3, the results are also heavily depended on cap layout
and PCB stackup. How can you build the universal cap component
library for different PCBs?

Here is my thought. When you build the cap libraries, the ESL should
only be self inductance of the cap. The mounting inductance (vias, plane
and traces) should be compensated in simulation tools. In this way, the
cap library can be applied to any PCBs. Anyone disagree?

Thanks.

Zhiping

--
   Zhiping Yang, Ph. D.