[SI-LIST] Re: Importance of Package Height

  • From: Zhiping Yang <zhiping@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: scott@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 16:42:46 -0800

Larry,

In the measurement method you discribed below, you actually
measured the total loop inductance ( L_cap+L_vias+L_plane),
is it right? There should are some ways to seperate the L_vias
and L_plane from the L_totlal, since L_cap is more meaningful
for some PDS tools.  It is always harder to define/extract partial
inductance than loop inductance since loop indutance is always
constant.

Scott, I like your idea about the "effective inductance curve"
related with the location of return current. Did you consider some
special cases, such as on a mutil-layer board the plane just below
the caps may not be the power/ground plane for this cap?

Thanks.

Zhiping

List archives are viewable at: