[SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling for PLL

  • From: "Neves, AlfredX" <alfredx.neves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx>, <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <cgrassosprint1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <zhang_kun@xxxxxxxxxx>, <a.ingraham@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:45:12 -0700

How about a strategy of relating the spurious sideband energy from the
PLL carrier to the PSD of noise generated on the supply as a way of
getting a parameterized handle on the problem?  Another way of doing
this is to use FFT of autocorrelation of the accumulated jitter of the
clock output.  Acquainted with Wavecrest (Tektronix and Agilent also
have hardware/algorithms to check out), they use this type of algorithm
which provides measures of periodic jitter in the frequency domain in
psecs peak-peak. The clock output periodic jitter can be related to PDN
so that PDN jitter to clock output jitter transfer function in Unit
Interval or psec peak-peak can be made.

Also have used the Wavecrest instruments/algorithms to separate the
jitter into random and deterministic components and generate a
statistically significant failure rate based on number of clocks cycles
and peak-peak jitter.  These peak-peak numbers can be used in
conjunction with skew to get insight into the overall skew+jitter system
budget.

Peaking in the PLL loop response, jitter transferred from the PDN to
clock output, allowable jitter input tolerance, etc., should all be
characterized and not just simply fixed or made to work.  =20

Al Neves
503 679 2429