[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: To Better The Breed

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: Pamswan02@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 19:11:11 EST

In a message dated 12/4/2005 6:17:05 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Pamswan02@xxxxxxx writes:
Please  correct me if I am wrong but don't the  German
Lines cull their  puppies after several puppies test? Do they also have a
X-ray of  hips before being showed?  Well It seems to me the only way to
correct
our big problem of dysphasia is to have all show dogs tested or  pre-lima
before a German shepherd goes in the ring. A puppy up to 2  years could be
pre
limb and after two could be OFA. This would stop  people from breeding a poor
hip
stud dog .There are two many people  that just don't know what these breeders
are  trying to hide or maybe  the breeder doesn't know about certain dogs in
pedigree?  If  all stud dogs had to have an OFA certification then this
would
certainly help .I would like to see all show dogs and Bitches be OFA  as
part
of the regulations of Showing. We probably all know of Sel  Champions and
just Champions that are dynastic and have done  unspeakable damage to our
Breed
by reproducing.

No, Pam, you aren't correct.  If, by "culling" you mean killing,  that
stopped ages ago.  (If by "culling" you mean removing from the gene  pool, we
do too
and I suspect they find good homes for them, like we do). And,  no, it's only
in certain shows, under certain conditions that "A" stamps are  required,
which BTW are issued at one year of age.

As far as "requiring" dogs be OFAd to be bred, by all means, if that is a
requirement of yours, go for it.  I don't know too many people who would
keep/campaign/put money into a "dysplastic" dog. I also don't know too many
stud
dogs whose hips aren't certified (I can't even think of one as I'm typing
this),
 and I don't know/can't name Sel. CHs or "just" CHs who have done
"unspeakable  damage" to our breed by reproducing.

We've learned through the years that HD is polygenec and to get a complete
picture of the dog you are breeding to, you'd also need to analyze his
siblings.  Rarely, if ever, is it possible to collect that data  because it's
rare
that entire litters are x-rayed.

Good luck though.  As far as making anything "mandatory", no.   But what you
do in your breeding program, what you choose to focus on, who you  choose to
do business with, breed to, buy puppies from, that's entirely up to  you.

Kathy
three generations of Dual Titled Champions  live here!

visit _Pine Hill German Shepherd  Dogs_