[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: To Better The Breed

  • From: Rikers123@xxxxxxx
  • To: Pamswan02@xxxxxxx, judsohngsd@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 14:30:25 EST

In a message dated 12/5/2005 12:46:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Pamswan02@xxxxxxx writes:
Of  course I believe that both Dog and Bitch should be OFA . I know of
breeders that won't OFA because they are afraid to X-ray but will take  them
in  the
ring and try for a championship. Sorry but I think that  is wrong.
Pam Swanson
Chantilly  Shepherds
Home of Ch.  Chantilly s Holiday Compadre( Holly) Winner's Bitch at  2004
National

Afraid of what ? I don't know of anyone afraid to x-ray. The majority of
people I know do x-ray before putting big bucks into showing the dogs. That's
only common sense.
Should I not show my dogs because they are not yet of age to be OFA'd ?
Sorry, but I think that is wrong. Not only is it wrong, it would severly limit
the amount of dogs showing. My 16 month old has a 4 pt major. He's x rayed but
not OFA'd. Should I not show him again until he is ? That's nuts. But then,
that's just my opinion. BTW, every one of my dogs AND bitches are OFA'd as are
the boy's sire and dam. Oh yeah, his sire is 2x Sel and the dam is also a
Champion. OFA is a TOOL and subjective to 3 opinions. A TOOL you are supposed
 use in your judgement of what your dog or bitch needs for breeding
considerations. It does not guarantee against dysplasia. If it did, no dog
under  SV
regulations would produce dysplasia. It is a tool for only 1 portion of what
should be considered as a whole. I believe someone mentioned the mass
euthanization of animals in the 70's because they were THOUGHT to be or COULD
grow up
to be dysplastic. How many dogs were put to sleep and taken out of the  gene
pool who could have contributed to the breed and may never have been
dysplastic in that space of time?
We are all free to do what we feel is best in our breeding programs. If I  am
not happy with the way someone breeds, I don't bring their lines into mine or
 let mine go into theirs. It's that simple. I am my own governning body where
my  dogs are concerned. I choose to OFA, micr chip, raise naturally and blah
blah  blah ( it's raining and I'm in a blah mood ). Not being mean or
judgemental  here. Just stating my opinion.

Denise  Groenewald
_www.greenwoodshepherds.com_ (http://www.greenwoodshepherds.com/)