[ SHOWGSD-L ] To Better The Breed

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 20:02:32 EST

In a message dated 12/4/2005 3:43:00 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
Pamswan02@xxxxxxx writes:
Pre  Limb's are not always  conclusive but
you certainly have a better  chance of knowing what you will end  up with.
Elbows are just as  important. Heart,etc also. I still  would like  to see
all
stud  dogs be OFA  before entering in the ring. I would like to  discuss
some
positive ways we could get this to come about, even if it takes  my  life
time to
see some progress here.

I think you mean pre lim not before the dog has limbs.

Most good breeders do pre lims and never breed unless the dog or bitch
passes, or, (and here is the main issue) they understand what they are doing
with
the dog or bitch that may not have perfect hips or elbows. Remember this is
but one part of an animal.

I remember one person who when they started to evaluate hips, put all her
bitches down.  She is no longer breeding as that destroyed her lines.

In Germany they give the A stamp at one year. We have decided that OFA
cannot be properly decided until two years have gone by. We have improved out
hip
problems to a great degree. The GSDCA was one of the first clubs to support
the OFA and we made great progress, and since then, the improvement has slowed,
 as had been expected.

A good breeder will know what they are doing with their breeding program  and
try to breed better dogs.  Using one element to breed for is a good way  to
ruin your chances of every having great dogs.

Or not.  Remember, I have always said not to take my advice.  I  urge you to
follow that advice.

Evan
_Asgard German  Shepherds_ (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement  and Temperament come together