[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: To Better The Breed

  • From: EKOLAN1@xxxxxxx
  • To: gsdsforlife@xxxxxxxx, Pamswan02@xxxxxxx, Lindenhillgsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 11:59:42 EST

In a message dated 12/6/2005 4:21:22 AM Eastern Standard Time,
gsdsforlife@xxxxxxxx writes:
Hi  Pam,

You are a breath of fresh air. At times it  gets smack of old breath and
stale air here.

I  agree with you 100%.

Dogs and bitches that  show ( that are looked at to be potential studs and
brood bitches ) should  most definitely be OFA'd.....not just prelimbed.

I  have to wonder why the humming and hawing and "no it shouldn't be
mandatory"  ....why not??

Of course the big 'ole  argument comes up about "well the tests just aren't
100%". Bugger that. They  are the best we have so bloody well do it. It DOES
weed out.

In my world...elbows would be done as well. ( more excuses )

John Dehope said that "the quality of your litter  should not  only be
evaluated by the best in the litter..but by the  least."

Ahhhh, words to strive towards! Gawd, that  is just perfect isn't it?!!

Pam said "I know  of
breeders that won't OFA because they are afraid to X-ray  but will take  them
in  the
ring and try for a championship.  Sorry but I think that  is wrong."

Denise (  rikers123 ) said "

What do you care whats shown? If you like me only use Bitches with  OFA hips
and elbows and breed to only males with OFA hips and elbows. Whats your
problem? Do you mean that you can be tricked into breeding to a show winner
thats
got bad hips and elbows ? Until you get the akc to not reg. a dog that has
bad hips and elbows[ And I hope that never happends] all you can do is manage
your own kennel. It might shock you the overwhelming majority of the show
kennels that do. The backyard breeders that breed for puppies and use their
friend's dog down the road DON'T GO TO SHOWS and don't for the most part give a

dam about numbers. So what you are asking for would solve  nothing.
Fred Migliore