[sac-board] Re: SAC Constitution

  • From: Paul Dickson <sac-treasurer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SAC-Board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:40:37 -0700

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 14:26:23 -0700, Jeff Hopkins wrote:

> After reading the SAC Constitution there sees to be some confusion.
> There are 5 board members. These are the people who are up for
> election. The rest are Committee Chairman who are not up for
> election. The Newsletter is the responsibility of the Secretary.
> There is no Membership officer.
>
> The board might want to consider modifying the Constitution to create
> Board member positions for the Newsletter and Membership as these are
> two very important positions that certainly deserve board member
> status. Both the Secretary and Treasurer have definite
> responsibilities beyond handling the Newsletter and membership issues.
>
> The Newsletter and Web site should distinguish between Board Members
> and Committee Chairmen.

The board may delegate its duties to appointed individuals or standing
committees.  The newsletter has been delegated to the appointed newsletter
editor, which is the chair of the newsletter committee. SAC has five of
these appointed positions currently (Newsletter, Web Site, ATM, Public
Events, and Deep-Sky Group).

The appointed positions are non-voting people at board meetings, but they
do have to show up at board meetings to report.  Plus is it brings a few
extra bodies to board meetings so board board can make decisions in less
of a vacuum.  Board meetings are open to club members, it's just that most
people don't seem to be interested in the running of the club.

> Where/when is the Properties report? What does the club have? What
> equipment, books, etc. and how do members access them?

You can access them by asking.  Are you volunteering to keep track of the
club's library, bring these books to each meeting?

SAC is a volunteer organization.  If a job takes too much time its likely
not to get done.  Unless you've done the work, be VERY careful about
criticizing the effort that currently gets done.  For example:  Gene Lucas
and I are about the only people still in the club who can really get away
with any criticizing of Rick's work on the newsletter, and then I only do
it when it will improve the newsletter.

Board positions are term limited to 2-years.  This is the basis of the
founding of SAC, so changing that is a pretty fundamental change.  The
standing committees provide the continuity needed by the club.  If the
newsletter editor became a board member, then that work-heavy position
would be harder to fill with a qualified person.

If you really want to add positions to the board, I'd suggest adding a
Member-at-Large position, perhaps 1 for each group of 50 club members,
decided when nominations open.  Is there any interest in this?