[sac-board] Re: Board meeting, 08-16

  • From: "Rick Tejera" <SaguaroAstro@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 15:48:00 -0700

Dick,

Here is the pertinent Section of the BLM "Recreation permit Administration
Handbook", Available for download in 93 pages of pdf here:

http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medialib/blm/wo/Information_Resources_Management/policy/blm_handbook.Par.22509.File.dat/h2930-1.pdf

E. Organized Group Activity and Event Use

Organized group or event permits are intended for group outdoor recreation
activities or events which are neither commercial nor competitive. The
authorized officer determines when a permit is required based on planning
decisions, resource concerns, potential user conflicts, or public health and
safety issues. A group is loosely defined as more than one person participating
in a recreation activity or event. The threshold size of a group requiring a
permit would be impossible to establish on a national basis. The threshold, if
any, must be determined for each area (for example, 10 people in a sensitive
riparian area may constitute an organized group, but a less sensitive upland
area may be able to handle 200 people without the need for special management).
Thresholds must be based upon planning, resource concerns, potential user
conflicts, and public health and safety. Field Offices are encouraged to
develop thresholds through land use planning for when permits are required for
organized groups and events for specific types of recreation activities, land
areas, or resource settings.

Other examples of groups or events that may require a permit include a large
scout campout, a fraternity activity, a large family reunion held at a BLM
recreation site or participating in recreation activities on public lands,
reenactments, or a dual sport event. Before issuing an SRP for an activity or
group event, consider if it is primarily recreational in nature. If not, it may
be more appropriate to authorize the activity or event as a land use permit
(see 43 CFR 2920).

So it would seem the number that determines a “Group” varies depending on
several factors, one no t mentioned, that I’m sure plays an active role is
the mood & knowledge of the manager approving the permit.

Rick Tejera (K7TEJ)

Saguaro Astronomy Club

www.saguaroastro.org

Thunderbird Amateur Radio Club