[sac-board] Re: ALL-AZ T-Shirts

  • From: Jeff Hopkins <phxjeff@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sac-board@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:06:24 -0700

>On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:49:21 -0700, Jeff Hopkins wrote:
>
>>  I'm a bit confused here. According to the SAC Bylaws (Article III E.)
>>  spending in excess of $200 requires the voting of the majority of the
>>  membership. That could be a real problem in getting to the majority
>>  for a vote. However, it appears $200 or less requires NO vote of
>>  anyone.
>
>Jennifer, David, and myself are three of the five board members (through
>the end of December).
>
>The board could OK up to $500, but that would be conditional on the
>activity being previously approved by the membership (usually via the
>budget) and a report to the membership at the next meeting.

Yes, for emergency issues (ART. VIII, 4.) the board may approve up to
$500, but spending of monies of not greater than $200 appear to not
require any approval as per ART., III E. The way i see it, you can
spend $200 or less without approval, but are accountably for it, and
between $200.01 and $500.00 the board can approve spending for
emergency reasons.

This is common for many organizations as it may be impractical to
hold a meeting/vote for all expenditures of $200 and less.

What I don't see in the Bylaws is how the Board votes. It appears it
must be unanimous. This can be a problem in getting anything done
(all board members must vote). It really should be something like the
majority of board members or at least two or something like that.

While I do not have access to meeting minutes, I had assumed purchase
of tee shirts for resale has been previously discussed and approved.

As I see it, the purchase and sale of the tee shirts are for the
benefit of the club and its members and since the amount is under the
$200.01 limit,and since the club really needs to get some cash
inflow, I feel there should be no problem.

This brings up another point. The financial report does not give an
accounting of what is in the club's checking account. I assume there
is enough to cover this. The checking account's beginning and ending
monthly balances should be reported.

Jeff

--
                                           Jeff Hopkins