[rollei_list] Re: Rollei Retro 100/Agfa 100 - problems

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 18:43:45 -0400

> Underdeveloped and underexposed are two different things.
> Underdeveloped puts the blame on the lab, not the photographer.
>
> You should be able to tell if such is the case by looking at the frame
> numbers, etc. that are on the edge of the film.  If these are far
> lighter than they should be, then the problem is in the development
> (or lack thereof) and not the photographer.
>
> This is one of those things digital photographers don't need to worry
> about, since a shot that is too dark can easily be brightened up using
> imaging software.

It would seem that Rollei Retro 100 is "equivalent in characteristics to
Agfa APX 100 B&W film" according to Freestyle.
Which means its the same stuff repackaged.

Agfa black and white films I've always found quite a interesting tangent to
take form the mainstream but a major issue being the phantasmagorically long
development times. Much longer than Agfa admits on their little data stubs.
And longer than Rodinal suggests on theirs.
So we have to be able to be in the mood to do this it seems unusual.. Stand
there in your darkroom over a development tank for 15 or 20 minutes.
Do that and you'll get proper densities and you'll see exposure was not the
problem. Don't do it and you get such thin negs you'll not know what's going
on.

I suggest sticking with Ilford and Neopan and even Kodak black and white
films. I hear Kodak has gotten the pink issue out.

Mark William Rabiner