[rollei_list] Re: Rollei 35S, SE

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 15:43:41 -0400

At 02:55 PM 10/3/2007, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>    Well, there are other sources such as patent literature
>and stuff published in various scientific journals, for
>instance, the _Journal of the Optical Society of America_
>and the afore mentioned _RCA Review_.
>    Also, history accepted by whom?  Also, history derived
>from the actual participants may simply mean anecdotal
>evidence. Also, who do you think wrote the history at SVC?

Richard, I am speaking of the accepted story of the history of lens coating as set out by a number of optical and commercial historians: you might revisit the appendix in my own 39mm DIVERSITY on this subject, and note the many references cited there. For that matter, the development of lens coating is covered in several places in the US Army's "Green Books", the history of the US Army in the Second World War.

The dispositive account of the Zeiss development was published in a German technical journal in 1940; I can provide a full citation, though the journal is rather difficult to locate today and I do not own a copy, though I have seen one.

I am sure that this Society of Vacuum Coaters is a nifty group, but they ignore non-US developments and ignore the role the US military played.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!