[rollei_list] Re: Rollei 35S, SE

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,<rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 09:40:30 -0400

At 08:51 AM 10/3/2007, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>     Zeiss had developed a method of vacuum coating about
>1935 but I don't think it was hard coating. The trick of
>baking the coating in vacuo in the coating machine was
>developed during WW-2 as part of the Signal Corps research.

You folks just won't let up, will you?

Hard-coating technologies were independently developed by Alexander Smakula, at Zeiss, by Ross in the UK, and by Wollensak and Kodak in the US prior to the outbreak of the Second World War. All of these companies were marketing coated lens by 1937, though with varying degrees of publicity: Wollensak, for instance, was selling coated optics to the US Army and this was not publicized; Zeiss did not publicize its lens coatings but just started marking its coated lenses with the epic red "T" from 1937 onwards.

Leitz and others adopted soft coatings to avoid interference with the Zeiss patent, which did not expire until 1960.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!