[rollei_list] Re: [OT] film vs digital

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 09:13:02 -0500

> From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 17:43:25 +0100
>
> On 24 Jul, 2007, at 13:18, Neil Gould wrote:
>
>>  For the most part, the range of options and consequently
>> the range of expression is broader with film media than with
>> digital technology, another reason this analogy holds up.
>
> How so? I see every bit as big a range of options for expression in
> digital as film - if not more.

If you consider the multi-dimensional matrix represented by film choices,
developing chemincals and methods, print materials, etc., it is easy to
see that there is a very large number of options that will yield visibly
different results (as in oils, acrylics, and watercolor). For example,
just considering compatible materials and disregarding methods, it is easy
to derive a 10x10x10 matrix for film-based photography (actually, the
matrix is considerably larger with more dimensions). Comparatively, with
digital technology one is limited to the characteristics of the sensor and
print material options, greatly reducing the options in the above example
to 10.

>>> Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 13:00:09 +0100
>>>
>>> Grain is indeed a feature of film, and can either add character or
>>> ruin a photograph, depending on intentions.
>>>
>> Is not control of the media to achieve one's intentions an
>> indication of skill?
>
> Of course, but I don't understand what you mean here in the context
> of grain. The way to manipulate grain is largely film choice and
> after that what you get you are stuck with.

In my experience, the appearance of grain is controlled by the choice of
film, developing chemicals, developing method, print material, print
processing, etc. That represents quite a bit of flexibility under the
control of the photographer. If one can not achieve their intentions in
the final image, it is a reflection of skill, not options.

Regards,

Neil