[rollei_list] Re: Decline of Rollieflex/Film

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 16:30:04 -0400

At 05:02 PM 3/25/2010, Austin Franklin wrote:

>Unless you can show substantiated figures that show people who bought
>Hasselblads would have not considered a Rollei as an option, I don't think
>there is a way to establish the claim that Hasselblad didn't contribute to
>the decline in sales of the Rollei TLR.  The fact that they were sold at the
>same time, and were so similar is clear enough indication that it had to
>have some contribution, if not a significant one.  And again, what if the
>Hasselblad weren't around?  What else would all those thousands of people
>who bought Hasselblads have bought?

Austin

First, the figures are not available to the public. You did have a 12-month window when Rollei Fototecknik went bankrupt to access their sales data, but that ended in 1980, and Hasselblad has never released their sales figures to the public though I believe Rick has obtained access to this.

Second, you are arguing against accepted history. I realize that accepted history is not always "real" history, but I suggest that you revisit your copy of THE HASSELBLAD COMPENDIUM for a discussion of just why the camera was produced and its intended market.

Third, you are not being very precise about your years of reference. Hasselblad did not make much of a dent in Rolleiflex sales in the 1950's -- I believe that 1958 was Rollei's top year for sales -- until the 500C was introduced. Hasselblad did impact Zeiss Ikon sales -- we know that from the anecdotal evidence collected by Bill Stone and Charlie Barringer. But I do not believe that Hasselblad made much of a hit on F&H sales until the early 1960's, by which time Rolleiflex was already slipping and would have gone on slipping. The issues which afflicted the German camera industry in that decade were general and not restricted to a single company. As Carlos has noted, you really cannot study one brand without looking to the entire industry. I do recognize that common sense would not suggest that EVERY German camera company made a series of identical and really stupid marketing decisions in the same decade, but the historical record seems clear that such was the case. Zeiss Ikon, Voigtländer, Robot, Kodak AG, and the rest, just made a lot of very similar and very stupid business decisions. Hasselblad did NOT make those same bad decisions, and so its downfall and collapse was to be delayed for decades after Zeiss Ikon and Kodak AG were gone. But hte general market conditions eventually did in Hasselblad as they had killed off all the others.

Fourth, you keep ignoring the reality that the 1600F and the 1000F were bombs on the market due to reliability problems. Hasselblad could not have had much of an impact in either the amateur or professional market, as no one bought them. (Check out eBay or like venues: there are damned few of these cameras for sale, as there were damned few made ...)

Fifth, when Hasselblad did get its act together, the price for the 500C was cripplingly high. Our own Ed Meyers might rememer who it was among his New York photo cronies who named it, "Ha$$elblad", but the name dates from the late 1950's. The 500C sold with the basic 2.8/80 Planar for around 1 1/2 to 2 times the cost of a 2.8F Rolleiflex.

Austin, I will not stand behind you in my admiration for the Hasselblad system camera. But Hasselblad was not the cause of the woes of F&H. Hasselblad's success did hurt F&H, obviously, but it was not the cause. Had Viktor H never conceived of the development of that German wartime camera into the 1600F, Rolleiflex sales would still have gone into the terlet, pace Archie Bunker!, in the 1960's. The camera which had been so perfect for the 1930's and 1940's and 1950's was just all wrong for the 1960's.

Again, compare and contrast to Leitz, another company which made equally bone-headed decisions. To speak up for family capitalism, the Frankes and the Heideckes and the Leitzes all made huge sums when their cameras were selling -- and all three families spent the 1960's subsidizing their companies to keep them afloat. H Beam Piper would have applauded, had he lived to have seen this, as it was his vision of the way capitalists ought to behave. (I do know a few of the Leitz family -- we have one on this List, I believe -- and the family is now only moderately wealthy, thanks to their sense of responsibility. Bless them all!)

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!