[rollei_list] Re: Decline of Rollieflex/Film

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 16:41:17 -0500

Hi Marc,

> >Unless you can show substantiated figures that show people who bought
> >Hasselblads would have not considered a Rollei as an option, I don't
think
> >there is a way to establish the claim that Hasselblad didn't contribute
> >the decline in sales of the Rollei TLR.

> First, the figures are not available to the
> public.

And...I don't even know that these particular statistics exist...no one took
a poll of the people who bought Hasselblad and asked them if they would have
bought a Rollei if there weren't any Hasselblads.

> Second, you are arguing against accepted
> history.  I realize that accepted history is not
> always "real" history, but I suggest that you
> revisit your copy of THE HASSELBLAD COMPENDIUM
> for a discussion of just why the camera was produced and its
> intended market.

I'm not arguing against any history at all.  No one can provide history to
substantiate the claim that Hasselblads didn't contribute to the Rollei
decline, and just the mere fact that Hasselblads existed says they did.  The
intended market simply doesn't matter.

> Third, you are not being very precise about your
> years of reference.  Hasselblad did not make much
> of a dent in Rolleiflex sales in the 1950's --

I made no reference to years.  I simply said that I do not agree with
Carlos's claim that Hasselblads didn't contribute to the decline of the
Rollei TLR.

> Fourth, you keep ignoring the reality that the
> 1600F and the 1000F were bombs on the market due
> to reliability problems.

For someone who is so fastidious about stating facts, instead of myth, I
think you are completely off your rocker on that one.

> But Hasselblad was not the cause of the
> woes of F&H.  Hasselblad's success did hurt F&H,
> obviously, but it was not the cause.

I never said Hasselblad was the cause.  I simply refuted Carlos's claim that
Hasselblad didn't contribute to it...and you now say you agree with me.
Well, then, we need not continue arguing that point, eh?  We could continue
about the 1600/1000...but I do suggest you do a bit more research about
those before we continue ;-)

Regards,

Austin