[rollei_list] Re: Decline of Rollieflex/Film

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:26:45 -0300

If you are talking about the Rolleiflex TLR, its decline had nothing
to do with the digital era, German photographic industry started to
lose markets and to close factories from about 1955/56 due to the
Japanese photographic industry competition; F&H had a continous growth
up to about 1958; in 1959 the growth stopped and while Reinhold
Heidecke felt the Japanese TLR cameras were like a homage to his work,
they slowly were reducing the Rollei TLR market. RH died in 1960 and
Rollei management decided to develop the MF SLR that RH did not want
to manufacture in 1955. About 1965 Rollei TLR cameras production was
reduced and R&D work abandoned due to the Rollei SL 66 and Rollei 35
launching in 1966. The number of Rollei TLR cameras produced from 1973
to 1981 was very, very small in comparison with the TLR golden age
production. The TLR did not integrate the Rollei models to produce
after the bankruptcy process, it was a risky decison of the new Rollei
management to produce the F Aurum and Platin and due to these
expensive models little success within their limited edition they
decided to produce the GX for little batches. 1966 and 1973 are two
significant years to consider the Rollei TLR decline.-

Carlos