[pure-silver] Re: under-developed?

  • From: Peter De Smidt <pdesmidt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 13:07:42 -0800

Agnes wrote:
It could be the difference with me and how I was taught. The D-76 was taught to me in a college class. There the only temp control was on the developer itself. But we also had a development chart for the various temps, and film types that was a good 20 years out of date. What ever the temp of the water coming out of the faucet was the stop, which varied widely depending on the season. The fix kept in 5 gal. containers was changed out maybe once a year. There were hundreds of rolls developed per week. We just got so we would fix longer to get rid of the pinkish color to our negs. It was there that I switched to HC-110 after taking a Bruce Barnbaum workshop. I also got my development times of digital truth froim that point on. The grain was significantly smaller, the contrast improved. No more weird things happening to my negs. I use dilution b unless like you the times get to close to 5 minutes. I like longer development times. I also started bringing my own fix to the school as well. I doubt the fix was the culprit in why I disliked D-76. I just was never able to control the contrast the way I wanted to with it. Aggie

*//*
Aggie,

I'm glad that you have a system that works well for you, and I'd stick with it. I sounds to me, though, like you were over-developing significantly with D76. Recommended development times can only be rough, sometimes _very_ rough, guidelines, since temperature, agitation technique, water composition... can all very. If you find a time on a chart that works exactly for you, well, then you got very lucky. If you develop to the same contrast index, D76 should give you finer grain, a touch more film speed, and slightly less acutence than HC110B.

-Peter