[pure-silver] Re: old Norman P400D battery pack

  • From: <C.Breukel@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 17:20:22 +0100

>      It depends on what sort of capacitors are in it. The
> caps are used to store energy over a period of time which is
> then discharged very quickly to fire the lamp. Most
> electronic flash units use electrolytic capacitors. They
> depend on a chemical reaction to form one of the plates of
> the capacitor. When inactive the "plate" tends to dissipate
> so the cap must be re-formed. Its quite possible it will
> come up without any problems when turned on but it should be
> alowed to stand under charge for a long period of time,
> perhaps a day or more, to fully reform the capacitors. Then
> dischrage it and charge again. If you have a means for
> controlling the line voltage, a variable transformer for
> instance, its a good idea to bring up the voltage slowly at
> first to make sure the caps have not degraded to the point
> where they will short when full voltage is put on them.
>       If you can open the case check the caps for any signs
> of chemical leakage. If there is any it should not be
> connected and the caps will need to be replaced.
>       Note that the stuff that comes out of electrolytic
> caps is corrosive and will damage other things in the
> chassis.
>

> --
> Richard Knoppow
> Los Angeles
> WB6KBL
> dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

A bit of a hijack here, but I have these ancient Bowens Monolite 400
studio flashes, and when I tried to recharge them they became very hot,
as I understood because the capacitors are dried out. They still work
though, and I always switch them of when not using them within 1-2
minutes.

Nothing happened thus far, but I am still a bit worried; would/could
they explode or something?

On a related note, I  my have access to a set with a separate charge
unit/ generator..these generators also use capacitors to charge?

Thanks,

Best,

Cor