[pure-silver] Re: old Norman P400D battery pack

  • From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 08:28:40 -0400

DEAR FELLOW HAMS,
        I started as WN2EYC in 1962, WB2UYM, 2 years later and for the last
17 years have been AA2CV but I am 8P6FF where I live.
        I also built a linear as a 15 year old.  I used a 1000V plate
transformer and a voltage doubler with some very large oil filled smoothing
capacitors.  I recall my mentor, John, WB2IHB handing me a very large high
resistance, high wattage resistor telling me that using it as a bleeder from
the capacitors to ground would save my life at least once.  He was right!
        He also gave me a pair of radar amplifier tubes (I have them in
storage but forget the #) to use in grounded grid parallel as the final
giving me a kw.  Yes their plates glowed when keyed but my favorite was
taping a neon bulb on a plastic stick and holding it 4 feet from the finals.
It glowed when I keyed the Xmitter!  Impressed friends and family.  Needless
to say, I kept a metal cover over THAT baby and grounded everything VERY
well.
        Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic.
                CHEERS!
                        BOB  8P6FF