[pure-silver] Re: old Norman P400D battery pack

  • From: Dana Myers <dana.myers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 09:35:08 -0800

Yup, we're WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY off topic, but I was first licensed in
1977 as WA6ZGB, eventually changing to K6JQ in 1996 (first day of
the modern vanity callsign program).  I don't have one of them fancy
island DX callsigns, though.

Bleeder resistors are quite important; when I fixed out microwave oven
(replaced the magentron), I was pleased to see the filter capacitor comes
with an integral 10M bleeder :-)

As a slight effort at getting us on-track - is pure-silver the Morse Code
of Photography?

Cheers (and 73 to the hams),
Dana

On 3/2/2011 4:28 AM, BOB KISS wrote:
DEAR FELLOW HAMS,
        I started as WN2EYC in 1962, WB2UYM, 2 years later and for the last
17 years have been AA2CV but I am 8P6FF where I live.
        I also built a linear as a 15 year old.  I used a 1000V plate
transformer and a voltage doubler with some very large oil filled smoothing
capacitors.  I recall my mentor, John, WB2IHB handing me a very large high
resistance, high wattage resistor telling me that using it as a bleeder from
the capacitors to ground would save my life at least once.  He was right!
        He also gave me a pair of radar amplifier tubes (I have them in
storage but forget the #) to use in grounded grid parallel as the final
giving me a kw.  Yes their plates glowed when keyed but my favorite was
taping a neon bulb on a plastic stick and holding it 4 feet from the finals.
It glowed when I keyed the Xmitter!  Impressed friends and family.  Needless
to say, I kept a metal cover over THAT baby and grounded everything VERY
well.
        Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic.
                CHEERS!
                        BOB  8P6FF