[pure-silver] Re: need advice for purchase of flash meter

  • From: DarkroomMagic <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PureSilverNew <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 18:49:47 +0200

No, he doesn't need that.

He already owns a very good (if not the best) spotmeter. He is better (and
cheaper) off with a dedicated flash meter (Minolta, Gossen or Sekonic if you
like). The combination meters are a good choice for people who don't want to
buy two or more meters and do a bit of each (studio and landscape). I prefer
dedicated meters for several reasons, but that's just me after a lot of
testing.

If still in doubt, go to a club, a friend or, if all fails, a dealer and
check out the differences. Be aware of the fact that some meters suffer from
flare more than others. This is of no consequence to a dedicated flash
meter, but it is an issue with some of the combination meters.

However, the combination meters offer flash spotmetering. This is no benefit
to me, because I also have a Minolta spotmeter, which can do that (rarely
needed it). It might be what you are missing with the Pentax spotmeter,
which is the best IMHO for Zone System work.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht