[pure-silver] Re: need advice for purchase of flash meter

  • From: "Nunan, Mike" <mike.nunan@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 13:15:46 +0100

Hi Jeffrey,

I would second Ryuji's recommendation for a Sekonic meter, for the additional
reason that certain models (e.g., the L-358) will accept a little module that
fires the PocketWizard radio remote triggering system. I'm no expert in flash
or studio photography in general, but I saw this setup demo'd at Focus on
Imaging this year and it was obviously very convenient indeed. You just step
up to the model with the meter in hand and hit the button to fire the flashes
and get your reading. No trailing wires or external accessories for the meter,
and you can fire individual strobes (or groups) in order to check how many
stops of light you're getting from each of them, all under the control of the
master unit on the camera.

I guess it's fair to say that the system 'only' gains you extra convenience
and productivity -- it's not as if it opens up any new creative possibilities
-- but if you get the right Sekonic meter and decide you want to use
PocketWizards at a later stage, at least you'll get full integration without
having to replace your meter. Just a thought, really.

While I'm posting, I thought I should introduce myself briefly as this is the
first time I've "broken cover" as it were. I'm a keen amateur shooter, based
in London, UK, and still working exclusively with film at the moment, mostly
35mm, and in both colour and B&W. My main interests are in informal
portraiture and fairly traditional reportage. A meagre selection of my efforts
are here: http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=389618 (really must
get around to updating that!)  Anyway, belated thanks to all the regular
contributors for all the valuable information I've gleaned from the group
since I've been watching it since August, and I look forward to hanging out
here for a good long while, it seems like a great place.

Best regards,

-= mike =-