[pure-silver] Re: need advice for purchase of flash meter

  • From: Nick Zentena <zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 08:18:18 -0400

On October 5, 2004 12:38 am, Jeffrey Krenzel wrote:
> Hello everyone.  I need advice regarding the purchase
> of a flash meter.  For twenty-some years I have used
> only available light.  Because of a portraiture
> project I have in mind I have begun to learn to use
> studio lighting (in both a class and while assisting
> an architectural photographer).  Although I am
> starting off with hot lights -- so that I can see what
> I am doing -- I am progressing to strobes.  So I would
> appreciate some recommendations regarding a flash
> meter.
>
> I will be using B&W film and a Hasselblad.  I have
> used a pentax spot meter and a gossen luna-pro for
> outdoor shots and sunny 16 for landscapes.  I
> generally prefer low-tech, intuitively obvious gear
> when at all possible as I am not all that great at
> reading manuals.  TIA for your learned counsel.

        I have a Sekonic 358. It's not the very cheapest model but IMHO it's
the
cheapest model with all the features I wanted. It works great in both
ambienent and flash mode. You can even use it for reflected light. But since
I've bought mine they came out with a model above it with a spot meter. It's
the one I'd lean towards right now. The  558.

        Basically use is making sure you've got the right speed set and you're
in the
right mode. Flash is a little lighting bolt. It's got modes for
cordless,corded or with a transmitter to fire the lights. Set your shutter
speed and push the measuring button. It'll give you the F/stop and what
percentage of light is flash versus ambienent. Wonder what different speeds
would give you? Just change the shutter speed. It'll let you see how much
you'd need to drag the shutter to get anything but flashlight.  Or you can
use it for more complicated setups.

        I know you said that manuals aren't your thing but I'd suggest
downloading it
and at least skimming it.

http://www.sekonic.com/manuals.html

        Nick