[pure-silver] Re: dodging tools

  • From: "Tim Rudman" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 18:23:49 -0000

Speedy,

A couple of points about this. You can feather the edge of the shadow by
moving the dodger higher up the light path Speedy. The closer it is to the
paper, the sharper the edge. The further away, the softer the edge. It can
also be any mix of the two.

The other point is that dodgers do not always have to be opaque. They
canlocally  diffuse or shift contrast as well.

Eugene Smith described how he used mesh dodgers to not only lighten but
smooth out the grain in a face (for example). A range of dodger/diffuser/
contrast-adjuster combinations are possible with a little thought.

Tim

http://www.worldoflithprinting.com

From: DValvo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:00:13 -0500

The boards that come with photo paper not not opaque enough to use as
dodging tools..

Dave