[pure-silver] Re: dodging tools

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:28:14 -0500

Hi again,

Below please:

Tim Rudman wrote:

Speedy,

A couple of points about this. You can feather the edge of the shadow by moving the dodger higher up the light path Speedy. The closer it is to the paper, the sharper the edge. The further away, the softer the edge. It can also be any mix of the two.

The other point is that dodgers do not always have to be opaque. They canlocally diffuse or shift contrast as well.

Eugene Smith described how he used mesh dodgers to not only lighten but smooth out the grain in a face (for example). A range of dodger/diffuser/ contrast-adjuster combinations are possible with a little thought.

There is one item that I use when I want to soften the whole image. I bought one of those round hoops that are used for embroidery. Actually, there are two hoops, the inside one over which you stretch the section of material to be embroidered and the second hoop goes over that and is snapped into position over the first hoop and keeps the material stretched. I recycle my wife's old pantyhose and stretch that over the hoop. Depending on the weave and texture, you can get various levels of diffusion. Old curtains will also do. Check out your home, it's amazing the stuff we have that can be useful in a darkroom.

Cheers, Bogdan

Tim

http://www.worldoflithprinting.com

From: DValvo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 13:00:13 -0500

The boards that come with photo paper not not opaque enough to use as dodging tools..
Dave

 From: tomschofield@xxxxxxxxxxx
 Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 09:01:09 -0800
 To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

 Then, there's also construction paper, scissors, tape and a coat
 hanger wire. You can figure out the rest. An infinite variety of
 shapes is possible.

 Tom

 On Nov 12, 2007, at 6:26 AM, Les Myers wrote:

 > I use my hands and fingers as dodging tools. This is probably
 > heretical and un-professional, but I never misplace them and the
 > wire never gets rusty.
 >
 > Les Myers

    Windows Live Hotmail and Microsoft Office Outlook – together at
    last. Get it now!

<http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA102225181033.aspx?pid=CL100626971033>

Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Café. Stop by today! <http://www.cafemessenger.com/info/info_sweetstuff2.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_OctWLtagline>

  Bogdan Karasek
  Montréal, Québec                     bogdan (at) bogdanphoto.com
  Canada                               www.bogdanphoto.com

                  "I photograph my reality"