[pure-silver] Re: Tri X film versions and sizes

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:41:27 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Woodhouse" <chris.woodhouse@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 11:44 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Tri X film versions and sizes

> Interesting. I used Perceptol extensively and always was
> led to believe that
> Microdol-X was another metol-only formula. When I use
> dilute Perceptol (1+3)
> I can always rely on it taming the highlight density and
> producing a
> distinct shoulder. Even my tests with PMK had the same
> affect, which also
> largely based on metol.
>
> I'll just have to go and try it. All I need is a sunny day
> in the UK!

  Microdol-X is a Metol only developer but I've not found
that it provides much compensation at 1:3. Perhaps I didn't
use it at that dilution enough. I mostly used it full
strength. I also used it at 1:1, a mistake at first, but it
seemed to work well.
  I am, BTW, puzzled by the MSDS for Perceptol. I am pretty
sure I have an old MSDS showing it to be virtually identical
to Microdol-X, that is a D-23 type formula with a lot of
sodium chloride in it as a fine grain agent, but the current
MSDS shows it to contain a very large amount of Potassium
bromide. Curious.

---