[pure-silver] Re: Tri X film versions and sizes

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:55:55 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Barrie Bunning" <barrieb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2005 2:06 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Tri X film versions and sizes

> Greetings Chris;  I have been a ' Tri-X ' user for many ,
> many
> years,   The  400 Tri-x is basically an   amateur
> emulsion, good   but the
> 320 is the  ' Pro '  film has a much better sensitivity
> curve AND has been
> the stock film for Professionals world wide for years.
> Being an 'Old '
> type emulsion it has a lot going for it , in my view it is
> worth making ONE
> of your standard film types.     Cheers  BarrieB.
> At 07:05 AM 15/02/2005, you wrote:
>>In my quest to find my film of choice and after comparing
>>Tmax 400 with TriX
>>I plumped on TriX. I then downloaded the latest Kodak
>>datasheets and found
>>to my amazement, two Tri X emulsions, TriX 400 and 320,
>>which are available
>>in different formats. I cannot begin to understand the
>>weird reasoning
>>behind this but would welcome any observations between the
>>two emulsions.
>>
>>It would also seem that TriX 400 is not available in 5x4!
>>
>>--
>>Regards Chris Woodhouse

   I disagree with the characterizations of the two
emulsions. Tri-X roll film has a medium toe, long straight
line characteristic suitable to general photograpy. The
sheet film has a characteristic with rising contrast
throughout. It certainly is made for "professional" use but
is specified for studio use where flare can be controlled.
That is because shadow contrast is comparitively low and any
flare may lower it too much. Tri-X sheet film is useful
where you want exagerated highlights. In comparison with a
standard curve film like roll Tri-X or with 400 T-Max the
mid gray tones will be rendered darker for a given highlight
and shadow point. This is neither better or worse but may
not be suitable for some subjects. Ilford HP-5, if it is
still available, has a more nearly straight line curve as do
the T-Max films. Fuji Acros is another long straight line
film.

---