[pure-silver] Re: Tri X film versions and sizes

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:05:47 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shannon Stoney" <sstoney@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2005 6:05 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Tri X film versions and sizes

>>  >>
>>    I disagree with the characterizations of the two
>>emulsions. Tri-X roll film has a medium toe, long straight
>>line characteristic suitable to general photograpy. The
>>sheet film has a characteristic with rising contrast
>>throughout. It certainly is made for "professional" use
>>but
>>is specified for studio use where flare can be controlled.
>>That is because shadow contrast is comparitively low and
>>any
>>flare may lower it too much. Tri-X sheet film is useful
>>where you want exagerated highlights. In comparison with a
>>standard curve film like roll Tri-X or with 400 T-Max the
>>mid gray tones will be rendered darker for a given
>>highlight
>>and shadow point. This is neither better or worse but may
>>not be suitable for some subjects. Ilford HP-5, if it is
>>still available, has a more nearly straight line curve as
>>do
>>the T-Max films. Fuji Acros is another long straight line
>>film.
>

> Do you mean HP5+?  or was there an old film called HP5?
>
> Also, if you mean HP5+, do you think it's better for out
> of the
> studio use than say Tri-X 320 sheet film?
>
> I have used it a lot and I like it a lot, but I don't know
> exactly
> how the curves compare.
>
> --shannon

   Yes, HP-5+, I am on a first name basis with it. The older
film, without the + was very similar.
   I think you have to test with both to see what difference
the curve makes in the tone rendition. Tri-X is a tool like
any other that sometimes fits and sometimes doesn't. Ilford
does provide published curves in their on-line data sheets.
These are not as detailed as Kodak's but still give an idea
of what the film does. The data sheet for Tri-X covers both
versions and has curves for both so you can see what the
difference is. Once you learn how to read them these curves
will give a good idea of what the tone rendition of a film
will be.
   While developers have some influence on the shape of the
characteristic curve it is mostly determined by the
statistical distribution of sensitivity of the particles
making up the emulsion. That, in turn, is controlled by the
exact method of making the emulsion and these days can be
quite accurately controlled.

---