[pure-silver] Re: RC to FB

  • From: Peter De Smidt <pdesmidt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 15:43:45 -0600

Ryuji Suzuki wrote: For those who give proper (which I mean very close to
thepossible best) processing to prints, the expected action of archival
toning is to protect image forming grains from deterioration due to
environmental pollutants.
Would encapsulating the mat board and print be a good way to protect from
environmental pollutants? I once read that if you want to put a print in a
bathroom or kitchen, that you should frame the dry-mounted print with glass
as the backing board, instead of using archival corrugated board. You then
band the edge of the glass, mat board, print, mat board, glass sandwich with
aluminum foil, which is then taped (with Mylar tape) to form a vapor
barrier.The extra glass would add weight and cost, and one would have to be
careful that the tape doesn't peek out from under the frame.  Does this
soundlike a viable way to minimize print deterioration due to environmental
factors?

-Peter De Smidt