[pure-silver] Re: RC to FB

  • From: DarkroomMagic <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: PureSilverNew <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 00:44:11 +0100

Justin

Like you, I like the FB paper appearance and feel. Here are some differences
that come to mind:

1. FB is slightly more expensive (at least in Western EU)
2. Development is not as instantaneous and takes longer. I suggest to check
into factorial development, but none of this is an issue.
3. I recommend two fixing baths. (I like to recommend this for film too,
BTW)
4. Consider toning in selenium and/or brown toner a must for stability.
5. Washing times are much longer but can be reduces to 30 minutes with the
help of a wash aid.
6. Drying times are also longer (air dry overnight).
7. The prints don't dry flat but placing them under a sheet of glass for a
few hours takes care of this. Curling problems are overrated IMHO.

Overall, it's worth the effort to me, but you'll spend more time in the
darkroom.

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht