[pure-silver] Re: Oriental Seagull Papers

  • From: Jeffrey Thorns <puresilver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 19:53:50 -0700

I hope that most of us can achieve a 'plateau' or 'sufficiency' of gear, that allows us to achieve most of what we want to do, and lasts us long enough for us to achieve it.

(Despite buying 8 lenses for my F4, truth is, I use 3 of them for 95% of what I shoot. All older, all used, all well made-enough to last a while. Fancy is not really needed.)

Something that always bothers me from time to time. Do we get caught up too often in what paper we use, what settings are on the camera and what developer happens to be available at any given time?

Look at some of what Mathew Brady's people did during the US civil war (1860s now) when they were not only developing but making their own plates for immediate use in either tents or wagons.

A more modern example how many of you looked and saw what Becky Lynn did in a goat shed? That's not to say that we shouldn't explore all areas of the art, but maybe sometimes we get too caught up in what we don't have instead of making the most of what we have available.

Mark