[pure-silver] Re: Oriental Seagull Papers

  • From: Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 08:14:29 -0400

At 10:20 PM 9/19/2007 , Bogdan wrote:
>Hi, just wanted to chime in with a question; isn't *Ilford Warmtone*
>supposed to do that?

September 20, 2007, from Lloyd Erlick,

I use Ilford Warmtone (MGW) a lot. I've never found I could get anything
but a neutral gray before the selenium toner was applied. In fact, since I
started using toner many years ago, I've always found photosensitive papers
to be weak and uninteresting until toned. I judge the weakness of my prints
as an indicator of whether I've got it just right to go into the selenium.
They should look just that tad bit weak, too thin, needing five percent
more exposure or thereabouts. Then selenium toner puts in just the right
amount of density.

I like the effect of Metol (Kodak Elon) and Glycin on MGW. The action of
Selenium toner is intimately linked to the nature of the developer. For a
couple of years I've been using single-developing-agent developers (Ansco
120 for Metol -- the D23 of paper -- and Edwal 102 for Glycin).

A significant control on the 'warmth' level of a print is the relative
proportions of sodium vs potassium ions in the developer. If the usual
sodium salts like sulfite and carbonate (and phosphate in the 102
developer) are replaced by their potassium counterparts the result of the
process is noticeably warmer. Not dramatically, but perfectly visibly.
Replacing one or some but not all sodium salts with potassium produces
intermediate levels of warm. Again, the difference is subtle, not at all
like advertising claims. But perfectly real. I think subtle is more
important than gross or dramatic, so I like the effect very much.

Anyway, the desire is to get warm results without toning the paper. I've
never found how, and I'm interested to read on ...

regards,
--le
Lloyd Erlick Portraits, Toronto.
website: www.heylloyd.com