[pure-silver] Re: Neither My Hassy Nor View Camera Have This Problem

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 01:28:13 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Elias_Roustom" <elroustom@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:28 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Neither My Hassy Nor View Camera Have This Problem

This leads to very interesting further reading. Thank you for sharing it. I recall Richard mentioned T Stops before (here or in the Rollei list).

I put my exposure meter under the enlarger the other day to see if the aperture stops actually corresponded to full stops in light output, and they did not. Some lenses were better than others, but a full stop of aperture change is not necessarily the same as a full stop of exposure change. Photography like any art or craft is about dealing with limitations of tools.

I've also experimented with my Gossen Luna Pro, and my digital camera, the readings from the now ancient hand-held produce fine exposures on the sensor - but not all the time. Can't say I don't have that problem with film.

Elias

T stops became popular sometime in the 1950s I think. Mostly for motion picture use for the reasons Bob Kiss detailed, namely in order that exposures from different lenses would intercut. Some lenses, like the Bausch & Lomb Baltar came T-stoped from the factory but there were services that would T-stop existing lenses. The reason is that the transmision of a lens is dependant on things other than simply the size of the hole in the stop. There are losses going through the glass and losses from internal reflections. For an uncoated lens with eight uncoated glass-air surfaces it can amount to nearly a stop. Modern lens coatings increase transmission a lot but there is still some absorption in the glass and some reflection so that in a complex lens, like a zoom lens, the transmission predicted by simple geometry may be significantly in error. Usually, the difference between the T (means Transmission) stop and the f/stop is not enough to be significant in calculating depth of field but there will be a difference. T-stops will always be physically larger than the true f/stop so depth of field/focus will be a bit less.

Los Angeles
WB6KBL