[pure-silver] Re: Neither My Hassy Nor View Camera Have This Problem

  • From: "BOB KISS" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 21:05:50 -0400

DEAR TIM,
        You are absolutely right that the losses at the sensor and dependent
upon which kind of sensor do not affect your Hassy or your view cameras.
However, don't kid yourself: even 'Blad lenses of different vintage allow
very different amounts of light to hit the film at any given f-stop
depending on their type of coating and the sophistication of their design
(before or after computer assisted design, aspherical etc., etc.).  The same
is true of different view camera lenses depending on design, coating, apo or
not, etc., etc.
        The T stop issue is real and varies from lens to lens at any given
f-stop unless it has, indeed, been calibrated with T stops.  I trained in
film making at NYU (while working 60 hours per week at my photo studio) and
made some TV commercials before leaving NYC.  Given that it was nothing to
shoot a few thousand (and more) feet of 35 mm cine film in any given day,
you really do not want to discover that your 35 mm lens and your 80 mm lens
give you different exposures at f11.
        But, I agree, ain't nuttin' like film!
                        CHEERS!
                                BOB